Tuesday, February 22, 2011

spring fever and milestones


What a weekend!
My sweet Kade made things exciting for us! Last week he decided he was ready to learn to ride his bike. We really haven't lived anywhere great for bike riding until now, so I was happy to finally get to work with him! Thursday I helped him a little and so did Sean when he got home. Then by Friday night he was riding on his own!! We are soooo proud!




That same night (Friday) we came in from celebrating his achievement and he lost (ok, his Daddy pulled) his FIRST tooth!!
 Look at that sweet big boy!
 Mica and Poppy came over and surprised Kali Rose with a new "bike" (will post pic of that soon). Kade was sooo excited to show them the hole in his mouth :).. and of course, as always they delivered.. $5 for the tooth. :)


Ok, on to other news..
 I love to read and get fun ideas from other blogs. Back in December, I read this, which inspired me to make spring salt dough ornaments with the kids :). It was so easy and fun and they turned out soooo cute!

4 cups flour
1 cup salt
1 1/2 cups warm water
 We whisked the flour and salt together
 Adding the dough hook, we gradually added the warm water
 my dough naturally separated into 2 balls.. So we used one at a time
 we rolled the dough
 pretty flat
 we used our spring cutters to cut out our ornaments (oh, what dirty little fingernails..) ;)


 we used the end of a straw to cut the holes for ribbon


 Into the oven they went at 200 degrees for about 3 hours



Next, we sealed the ornaments with that ^




 The finished product:

 I used a jewelry "tree" I had to display the ornaments in the dining room

 In the breakfast room we displayed more on branches that me & the kids found in the yard

 ...and we displayed more out on the back porch ;)

Salt Dough Recipe 

Ingredients:
  • 4 cups flour
  • 1 cup salt
  • 1 -1/2 cups hot water (tap water)
Instructions:
  • Combine the salt and flour in a mixing bowl
  • Gradually add the water until the dough becomes elastic
If your dough is too sticky, add more flour....too crumbly....add more water.

Once you've got your dough at a consistency you can work with, bring on the rolling pins, cups, bowls, straws, cookie cutters, plastic utensils, and let the fun begin! 

For colored dough, add food coloring, Kool-Aid, or paint into the water before adding it to the dry ingredients. Or you can paint your creations after they dry (either air dry or bake at 200 degrees F).


Are you as ready for spring as I am???

6 comments:

  1. I love this idea...what a cool way to get the kids involved and what fun!!! Love ya Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea...may have to try it with the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! I was really pleased with the simplicity of the process and the charm of the outcome. You should really do it Ashley.. You could also let your kids paint them... if you are brave enough. Clearly, I was not :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanna be like you when I grow up. I'm doing good to let them help me with break and bake cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jamie, you are funny. and sweet :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea...may have to try it with the kids!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!! I appreciate your comment! :)